Set in the not too distant future, a group of people are determined to bring the modern world to its primal knees. From notes in his journal, one of them takes us through the journey to potential apocalypse.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

DAY SIX: OCTOBER 31 2025

I decided to take a walk today.

I walked onto my street as that early morning chill was dissipating like the sleep from my bones. The streets were busying and the noise of the day had begun.

I came down the hill, and through the gaps in the buildings I could see the river - bringer of commerce and trade - snaking like the salesman through city I've come to know and lover for the past few years. A feeling of disconnectedness briefly filled me remembering where I've come from. But this could be any city, in any country, but only on one planet.

I love my planet. I love my country (I love this country). I love this city. But I hate the people. I hate the builders. I hate the government. I hate the rulers. And I hate the mess.

I stopped at the bridge bending its back over the river and I looked at the monuments, the cathedrals, the high rises and the tourist gimmicks. But most of all I looked at the people: the people who build these; the people who use these. And most of all: the people who are really oblivious to these. The everyday people who go about their shit totally unaware of the monstrosity that they've helped created. The systems and structures and aerial views of their city - their supposed home - their cage that they've constructed to fit themselves into, comfortably. A mishmash of lanes and dreams and compromise and complacency.

I long for the fresh air that the industrial digital age can't breathe into me. To be the rustic troglodyte in his primitive cave in awe of his fire and the shadows that dance on his rough wall. He holds more value to me than the feel of my comm unit in my pocket: the weight of an age that feels like it's going to drag me down with it.

I had to take it out my pocket, so that I could breathe. I looked at the comm units floating by - attached to faces - grey and dull and totally disconnected. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

I'm the freak - I think.

I think.

I long for the fresh air. I need a trip into the country. The great outdoors. Fuck! I thought this was the great outdoors. Go figure.

I had to rest against the thick stone slabs of the bridge. I needed to catch my breath. What am I doing here? What am I doing?

I think I'd see normal people if I went out tonight. Halloween seems so natural now. Let's celebrate the dead while they're still alive.

I noticed something after finishing this entry.

Everything begins with "I".

No comments:

Post a Comment