Set in the not too distant future, a group of people are determined to bring the modern world to its primal knees. From notes in his journal, one of them takes us through the journey to potential apocalypse.

Friday, April 16, 2010

DAY FOUR: OCTOBER 29 2025

Every twitch and scratch that our 'subject' makes sends my pulse racing. An 8 minute ride on the train ends up being more nerve-wracking than any thriller I've ever watched. Added to the fact that there still aren't any visible signs that we can identify - again, it is still too early in the projected timeline. I'm spending the entire trip hanging on her every move. And I've got to remain inconspicuous.

Fellow passengers seem to keep even their glances to themselves, but anonymity is the key. I even removed my hair add-ons and donned the most uninspired clothing in order to blend in with the proverbial wallpaper. Every pore of my body is oozing and squirming in this conformist chamber - like a diver with the bends having to decompress in a dense, soundless vacuum - the air is thick around me and I want to throw-up but know I'll be left to rot in my own filth if I do.

Picked up my replacement comm-unit on the way home from the station. We have to deal with the lowest tech concerning these things - cheap and nasty and as far off the system as things will allow. Already ran the serial-wiper to rid the device of its tracking system. The randomiser seems to be running just fine in the event of anyone trying to identify the device on connection - runs a new comm-ID and GPS location each time.

God, I love having hacks at my fingertips.

Incoming comm…
Auto Transcriber Activated...
Names edited…

DNA PIRATE: "Yes?"
UNKNOWN: "Bro. What the fuck?"
DNA PIRATE: "What you mean, P00102?"
UNKNOWN: "Have to pull you off train duty for now. Your comm-unit problem."
DNA PIRATE: "Fuck, I knew it!"
UNKNOWN: "Exactly, so don't get pissy when you saw this coming."
DNA PIRATE: "Nobody's pissy, I didn't think it was a big deal. It's all unconnected."
UNKNOWN: "Unconnected now, but when we're looking back in hindsight we've got to make sure that we covered our tracks."
DNA PIRATE: "So why allow this morning's session?"
UNKNOWN: "There were some back-and-forths over the issue and considering the amount of time we've all taken in grooming you and P00104 it was a hard call."
DNA PIRATE: "Who's in tomorrow, then?"
UNKNOWN: "P00108"
DNA PIRATE: "She's not ready, damnit!"
UNKNOWN: "It took a day but she'll be just fine. Besides, we cannot assume that anyone is irreplaceable - no matter where we sit in the food-chain."
DNA PIRATE: "Whatever. I've got shit to organise so I've got plenty to occupy my time."
UNKNOWN: "Exactly."
DNA PIRATE: "Send me the updates."
UNKNOWN: "As always. We still on for the meeting?"
DNA PIRATE: "Naturally."

Damnit.

I'll find ways to occupy my mornings. Need to gather information from the various broadcasts and news agencies anyway. Plus P00109 says that he's nearly through the security and law enforcement agency systems. Fun when you just tell your code what to hack and it does all the hard work for you. That will, firstly, give us an eagle eye on any future investigations that may arise; and secondly, allow for a few manipulations.

And then, like a giant digital chessboard, the games will really begin.

DAY FIVE...

No comments:

Post a Comment